As artists, we just want to paint, or act, or write, etc. But unfortunately, if you actually want to make money off of your art (legally), you are required to get things like a business license, seller’s permit, maybe a fictitious name, insurance, etc. etc.

This page will do it’s best to break down what you might be required to get, and how you get it. It does get a little complicated because each state has different laws, and obviously living in California I will be most familiar with the California laws, but like I said, we’ll do our best.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, I am an artist. None of this is to be construed as legal advice. If you have any legal questions, it’s best to consult a lawyer. You can also check out for info on starting a business including licenses and permits.

DBA or Fictitious Name

Business Checking Account

Business License, Seller’s Permit and EIN – Coming soon!

Comments are closed.